It is every woman’s aim to look and feel good about herself. That includes achieving a flawless, radiant and glowing skin. It takes proper discipline in order to maintain its health and youth. However, you do not need to spend so much time in spa or salon or splurge on expensive beauty products that promises this and that to your skin. All you need to do is develop good skin care habits.
Here are 11 skin care habits you need to include in your daily routine to maintain skin’s health and beauty.
1. Sleep early. Skimping on sleep does more harm than good to your skin. Lack of sleep contributes to per orbital hyperpigmentation most commonly known as racoon eyes. It has been showed in the latest research that those participants who have completed 8-hour of sleep were rated more attractive than those who were sleep deprived.
2. Wash your face twice daily. The dirt caused by environmental factors can damage your skin. Remove those by gently cleansing your face to prevent weakening your complexion. Also, if you wear makeup most of the time, do not forget to take them off before you sleep.
3. Protect your skin from sun’s harmful rays. Excessive sun exposure accelerates skin aging. Thus, it is essential to protect your skin by using a good sunscreen. Applying sunblock 30 minutes before you go out is recommended to shield your skin from the dangers of UV rays. If you will be staying longer under the sun, re-application every two hours is necessary to keep your complexion protected. The habit of putting on sunblock on your skin can delay the aging process, making your skin young and radiant.
4. Sweat it out. To get a fresh, radiant glow all the time, you need to take few hours a week to exercise. Regular exercise releases unwanted toxins to your skin. Go for a minimum of 30 minutes of physical activity at least five days a week. In a research presented, it was showed that those who engage in exercise routine experienced a reversal in their skin’s signs of aging as they began to look younger in appearance.
5. Ditch that dangerous stick. Cigarette smoking does not do any good to your body, including the skin. Smoking that harmful stick creates fine lines around your mouth as well as making your skin look grayish. Nicotine destroys skin substructure, leaving it saggy.
6. Lather on moisturizer. Retaining skin’s moisture is crucial in attaining healthy skin. To realize your goal of achieving younger, healthy skin, use moisturizer. Moisturizers help in slowing down water loss by strengthening skin’s barrier. In the case of sensitive skin, look for products with ceramides, one of the three types of fats in the skin. Hence, never forget to moisturize your face and body whatever the weather it may be.
7 Relax and stay calm. Physical stress and chronic tension can do harm to your skin. It causes surge in cortisol in the body, a hormone that can break down collagen and elastin, leading to wrinkles. Stress can also worsen certain skin conditions such as psoriasis and rosacea. Find your inner peace by doing meditation, reading inspirational books, or simply doing breathing exercise.
8. Be gentle on your skin. Using too many products, excessive scrubbing and over-exfoliating of your skin can lead to increased inflammation that can swell the surface of the skin, clog the pores and increase blemishes and redness on the skin. Stop the habit of scrubbing your face to keep it clean. Be gentle on your skin by limiting exfoliating to once a week. Check the label of the skin products you are using to prevent skin reaction to your skin. Always consult a dermatologist before using a skin product.
9. Zero on sugar. Sugary products does not only add inch to your waistline; it does also speed up aging process. Foods high on sugar increases cortisol through a process called “glycosylation” where sugars bind to collagen and weaken it. Achieve beautiful skin inside out by following a healthy diet that consists of healthy fats, omega 3, antioxidants and vitamin C. It makes a great recipe for healthy complexion.
10. Stop the pop. To treat your zits, avoid popping them. Treat your acne and blemishes gently. You can do it by steaming them or minimally applying medication to prevent burns of permanent damage. If your pimple does not heal and keeps on coming back, see a dermatologist.
11. Do not be fad crazy. If you want to maintain your skin’s look and glow, avoid trying all the skin fads available. You have to be smart in knowing what is good and what works well for your skin. Experts reveal that people with flawless skin save their money for products that really work like moisturizers, sun protection and products that are proven to diminish fine lines and wrinkles.